By now you have seen or heard about the Kony 2012 video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc on YouTube, a video that went from 0 to 50,000,000 views in just 4 days…. Even at some points averaging 1,000,000 views an hour. It’s the ultimate viral video, something everyone who posts to YouTube strives to obtain. But what do you do if you’re not a charity with ties to celebrities and a decent amount of funding? You may have the talent to create the video, and a video that makes you laugh…but then what?
1. Choose a title that is SEO friendly and maybe a bit obscure.
2. Start with friends, family and coworkers. Have them share it across their social networks, through email and word of mouth. There is no doubt this one started by being spread by friends and family.
3. Promote it to groups that have common interest via social media, blogs and traditional media.
4. Take it to other sites besides Google. Try Vimeo, Google Video, Daily Motion or MetaCafe.
5. Don’t get ahead of yourself. Most viral videos take time, sometimes even years. Stay patient.
Here at T/K we, along with Response Mine Interactive, are working to make this one go viral. We know you know this guy!
By, Christy Olliff