For the third year in a row, the Super Bowl has broken its own record for the most watched TV program in history. According to Nielsen Fast National Data, a record 111.3 million people tuned in for the Patriots vs. Giants rematch in , topping the 2011 game by 300,000 viewers. Furthering the games television dominance, the Super Bowl now accounts for four of the five most watched programs in TV history, the M.A.S.H finale in takes up the remaining spot at number 4.
Expanding its reach beyond the television set, the Super Bowl was streamed online and via NFL Mobile, Verizon Wireless’ exclusive mobile application, for the first time ever. While the NBC has not released official data for its live-streaming of the game via NBC.com and select Verizon mobile phones, the additional broadcast channels meet the growing number of consumers that rely on online and mobile for their viewing needs.
Verizon Wireless reported that Super Bowl XLVI was the most viewed game all season on NFL Mobile, with 40 percent more viewers watching compared to Wildcard Weekend and more than twice the number of viewers compared to the highest-viewed regular season game.
In addition to the record breaking viewership, Google also revealed statistics regarding viewer’s online behavior during the Super Bowl. A few that I found most interesting include:
- The top five Super Bowl ad teaser videos, including the 2012 Acura NSX Big Game Ad, VW’s “The Bark Side,” Honda’s “Matthew’s Day Off,” “Coming Soon” by Honda and Audi’s “Vampire Party,” resulted in a total 30 million views on YouTube.
- 96 Hours, or a total of 4 days, worth of videos uploaded that mentioned this year’s Super Bowl in the title.
- A 30 second commercial spot that ran during the Super Bowl cost an average of $3.5 million.
- The top Super Bowl party search terms included Super Bowl recipe, seven layer dip and Super Bowl bet.
- 41 percent of people turned to their mobile device during the Super Bowl.
Lastly, what’s a blog post on the Super Bowl without discussing the commercials? A few of my favorite included:
- The Sling Shot Baby – Doritos
- Man’s Best Friend – Doritos
- Happy Grad – Chevy
- French Bulldog Races – Skechers
- The Dog Strikes Back – Volkswagen
What were your favorite Super Bowl commercials?
By, Colleen Murphy | @c_murphy33